We do not have a kid to send to a summer camp. That day won’t come in next few years. But we have friends and family members who regularly send their kids to summer camps.Some organize events on their own. This post is about the summer camp alternatives that you can consider this summer.
Giving what’s best for kids is what every parent’s primary goal. Needless to say, being a parent is not an easy task particularly because you have to take care of everything from the littlest details to the biggest ones. Kid’s happiness and welfare is surely what every parent works so hard for.
Without a doubt, camping is what most kids love to do. However, parents should not stop searching for other worthwhile and fun activities. Indeed, it is delighting to know that there are plenty of budget-friendly summer camp alternatives, which all parents can consider to ensure that their kids get what they truly deserve.
(Related – Get Your Kids Started on Personal Finance Early)
Fortunately, it is now easier to look for inexpensive summer camps, which parents can organize without having to spend much. It is essential to note that being a parent entails countless responsibilities and the most important thing is that you’re able to take better care of your children at all times.
List of 10 Reasonably Priced Alternatives to Summer Camp
1. Parents may consider engaging their kids to a Local Sports Camp. These distinctive summer workshops usually concentrate on a particular activity or sport such as soccer or football, baseball and basketball. Other activities they focus on also include gymnastics, martial arts, cheer-leading etc.; all of which are commonly offered in affordable rates.
2. Farm Camp helps kids learn more about the significance of sustainable and local food. Allowing your kids to be involved in this kind of camp will certainly motivate them to discover the farm more.
Activities that can be participated here include planting, harvesting, carpentry, cooking, taking care of domesticated or farm animals and many more. Kids may also experience how exciting and fun it is to live in a farm. Usually, siblings enrolled here are given discounts.
3. As parents, you exactly know what your kid’s interests are and where he/she is good at. If your child is into writing, a creative writing summer camp is advisable. This type of workshop commonly lasts for three weeks wherein kids are supervised by professional writers and are trained to enhance their writing skills in terms of poetry, play-writing, fiction and nonfiction.
Kids are also given the chance to have their masterpiece to be published by the end of the writing workshop.
4. Reading Workshops. Fortunately, there are some local libraries, universities, and museums that offer summer reading workshops. At times, they not only focus on reading but they also teach kids about drama, history and they can also take pleasure in some of their activity tours. It is interesting to note, that most of summer reading clubs offer considerable discounts to those interested.
5. Beyond doubt, most kids love to draw. A drawing summer camp is recommendable so that your kids may explore their imagination and be able to draw various things that they see around them. This workshop enables kids to enhance their skills using oil crayons, charcoal, chalk pastel and graphite.
Kids who are exceptionally gifted often times can come up with a masterpiece using only a common thread.
6. Dancing workshops may also work well especially when your kid loves to dance. By allowing your child to be engaged in this physical activity, he/she will develop his/her dancing skills more, learn discipline, be more flexible and be trained on how to move gracefully and how significant it is to take care of one’s physical health.\
7. Parents may enroll their kids in a sculpture summer camp. Since we are now in a modern-day living, technology-based sculptures such as 3D sculptures can now be done. Kids will have the opportunity to learn and explore more about special awareness by means of considering design, form and proportion.
Indeed, kids will learn about stone carving as well as the use of oil-based clay that is essentially known as the subtractive method. Meanwhile, kids will explore the so-called additive method in which they can clearly understand the significance of utilizing wire forms and paper-mache.
8. If you wish your kids to experience nature, music farm chores, woodwork, yoga, baking, cooking, theater or music, art or yoga, handwork etc.; A nature summer camp is such an ideal choice. This summer camp usually lasts until three weeks and is recommendable for kids’ age four to nine.
Alternative, why can’t you and your kids (probably with another family) go on a hiking, camping trail? Pick a location near by and spend a few days in wilderness.
9. If you are really on a tight budget, you can create your own mini summer camp at home right at your own backyard, garden or any spacious place around the house. It would be best if you will create and organize it with your kid/s; this way, you can spend more quality time with them and you can teach them some tips and tricks and many other useful techniques which are applicable to life.
Moreover, you won’t have to worry about your kids’ safety for you can check on them anytime. This is absolutely fun without having to spend any single penny. Educate your kids about first aid, what to do during emergencies and many other valuable lessons about weather disturbances and other unfortunate incidents.
10. To help make your child learn how important it is to reach out to those who are in need, you may consider allowing him/her to be involved in Local Volunteer Programs. Kids will truly enjoy volunteering in a local charitable institution, visiting orphanage, homes for the aged and many more. By doing so, kids will learn to be more responsible, helpful and understand the real situation of those in need.
At present, it is definitely a tough task to earn money. For this reason, most parents work harder and try so hard to save for their kid’s future.
Parents want their kids to have the best and most unforgettable summer camp experience; however, it is also a very challenging task to look for some workshops and activities that are not that costly, can ensure great learning experience and can help make kids more responsible, more disciplined and be able to enhance their skills and talents.
(Related – Enjoy Life, Save Money, Take Staycation)
It is very vital for parents to remember that every single time must be well spent. However, kids should not be forced to be involved in some activities they aren’t interested in. It is deemed substantial to reiterate to them how essential it is to spend their time in a more worthwhile manner and at the same time never miss their chance to have fun and enjoy their vacation.
It is advisable to allow your kids to participate in some workshops or activities that give them the most joy, where they can be themselves and be good at.
Most importantly, kids excel more when parents are very supportive. Acknowledge their hard work and efforts. Let them feel how much you love them and always listen to their side of story to better understand each other.
If you’re a parent what is your plan for this year’s summer camp? Do let other readers know.
|SB is a husband and working as a software professional for a Fortune 100 corporation in Florida. Thanks for visiting the blog.
You can receive free full-text articles from One Cent at a Time in your email inbox, on the days we publish fresh content, by entering your email below. Your email will only be used for subscription, and each email will include a link you may use to unsubscribe at any time. You can also become our Facebook fan or follow us via Twitter