I admit I never did enough on our anniversaries. We have spent 10 anniversaries together so far. SMB (my wife), has a weakness towards the jewelries and clothing but what she’s most interested in is, spending time with me, on a vacation or simply at home, two of us!
We celebrate our anniversary in the month of July (8th July, to be precise), which is still 10 months away. The last anniversary, 2 months back, was the dullest one we celebrated so far. We didn’t go out anywhere, we had a cake cutting at home with no one to cheer around us. If things go well, next anniversary is going to be very very special. So I started planning, and thus came this post idea.
Updated in 2016 – We are expecting a child in March. Apart from writing about best newborn gift ideas, and parenting, I am already thinking about making this anniversary very special for her. I’ll keep you posted
Updated in 2015 – This was out 10th anniversary. We booked a hot air balloon ride with Cloud 9 Living. Though not very frugal but, it was our 10th anniversary, so we did splurge a little. What could be better gift than gifting an experience. Your partner may not remember the exact perfume you gifted her, but he/she will definitely remember the romantic gate-away you took her to on your, say 3rd anniversary.
Cloud 9 Living offers many such unforgettable experiences, based on the city you live in. For us, in Miami, they had all sorts of gifts ranging from piloting a fighter plane to deep sea fishing. One of my colleagues is a regular customer, who suggested us about Cloud 9 Living. I encourage you to explore yourself.
Updated in 2013 – This was our 9th anniversary this year. But I just gifted her a watch and a perfume. We threw a party in a local restaurant, invited friends. I also gave her a special frugal gift. One of our pre-wedding pictures was sketched and framed. All by using Fiverr and paying only $5, tons of good stuff you can get it done there for $5. And the framing took another $20. In all for $25 we had a great memory which does look nice too.
|2012 the most frugal gift ever – My wife got registered for a reward website, InboxDollars. She started doing her regular netsurfing with InboxDollars toolbar installed. At the end of one month she redeemed her points for a target gift card. By our anniversary, she completed 2 full months using InboxDollars, with the money she earned she got me a complete set of formal wear (shirt, pant, shoes and a tie), not bad for 8th anniversary! Cost, $0, absolutely nothing. If you’re USA resident, you can also try out InboxDollars, to earn on the side, not much but, it can make a nice gift.|
101 Frugal and Romantic Anniversary Gifts
This list contains research items, inspired items and some creative ideas coming out of my gray cells. Hope you find something that your partner will love!
- Create a website for you both, fill it with pictures and stories of your life till date. On anniversary day, casually open the site on her computer/smart phone and take the picture of her getting shocked! You can create your blog in 20 Minutes for just $20. I did it and I am loved ever since . That site is only both of us, searchable but no one can guess it’s us. We do regular photo and message exchanges via the site. It’s pre-historic to exchange ideas by adding website content, especially in this era of instant messaging. But it’s very romantic!
- Create the gift of your lifetime through Fiverr for just $5, I used Fiverr all the time and encouraged my friends and colleagues to use Fiverr as well.
- You can videotape yourself singing a love song to your partner or record a video testimonial and post it on the Internet/on your blog or just to your social media account. Don’t forget to tag your partner.
- Spend time with her, go on a ‘moviethon’, a series of movies for the whole day. End it with a drinks and slow dancing.
- Cloud 9 Living has over 1800 specially selected anniversary gift items in their repertoire, handpicked for your area. We booked a hot air balloon ride on our 10th anniversary. Some amazing items they have like a tour of city’s pubs, all in one ticket. A NASCAR driving experience with a real NASCAR test driver. Glider ride over the city, etc. Their gifts starts from $30.
- Compose a poem that would evoke emotions and feelings towards your partner
- For other alternatives to expensive jewelries. You can surprise her by ordering custom made jewelry and make up boxes. Click the link and answer a few questions on her taste and you’ll get a jewelry box with full sized products picked by pro makeup and jewelry artists that create an awesome look. Of course you have to pay but they’ll fit in your frugal budget.
- Invite some friends to serenade your woman. This should be a surprise party.
- Take your partner to the spot where you first met and propose her once again, this time a proposal not to go apart ever.
- Greet your spouse during a live radio broadcast and make sure she listens to it.
- Gift your partner an assortment of his/her favorite chocolates. Folks at Ethel M chocolate do just that. You can order the box to be delivered on the date!
- Make a music video commemorating your anniversary.
- Kiss your partner in a place where you two first met, take her to that place first.
- Plant your own flowers to give during your anniversary day.
- Learn how to make origami flowers and make an effort to that to your partner.
- Create 101 reasons why you love your partner. \
- Make a canister that includes daily messages of the number of months or years you were together.
- Participate in discounted yoga classes
- Give her a locket with a picture of you two together. Women can give a bracelet to the man. You can do this at CafePress
- Design your own anniversary card
- Customize a picture that shows couples happy growing old together. Again, You can do this at CafePress
- Create a playlist of the partner’s favorite songs.
- Offer services to charitable institutions during your anniversary
- Spend time watching your husband/wife favorite all time movies.
- Bake your own specially designed cake
- Make pastries or deserts that are preferred by your husband or wife.
- Participate in a one-day activity sponsored by a particular organization or group
- Go on the roof and enjoy the sight of stars in the night
- Make a candle-lit dinner for two.
- Read your partner a romantic and unique poem.
- Cuddle up on a blanket with hot chocolate.
- Enjoy a stroll around the park in the morning with formal attire and stand out among the crowd.
- If you are familiar with a music instrument, serenade your partner with the most romantic piece you can come up with.
- Create a song with romantic lyrics to your partner.
- Use different instruments to say I love you (e.g. mobile phone, email, text, and face-to-face).
- Write a letter to your partner to be opened a year from now and emphasize how the love just got stronger.
- Make a collage of symbols that depict your feelings to your partner and how it continues to evolve.
- Create numerous couple portraits and make a hodgepodge that would be framed and posted on the wall. I use Smile box for all my digital printing needs. You can also use SnapFish or any other tool you used in past.
- Leave a message to your partner’s voice mail equal to the number of years you had been together.
- Construct a map that requires specific task. The last task should be the one that leads to your ultimate surprise.
- Fill your partner’s vehicle with love letter post-its.
- Ask favors from ten people to follow your plan to surprise your partner during the anniversary
- Ask an artistic friend to make a caricature from your picture collection.
- Commission an inexpensive artist to create a portrait
- Enjoy a candle-lit date in a bathtub with champagne and strawberries
- Have a picnic date on a warm sunny day.
- Try out new cuisine as a couple using discount coupons.
- During a rainy day, rekindle your childhood and play with your partner in the rain.
- Whisper something sweet to your partner every hour during your anniversary date.
- Highlight different love passages in the Bible and put a special note that is written by you.
- Bake a heart-shaped cupcake to add a romantic feel.
- Prior to celebrating your anniversary, make a letter that depicts your story for preparing to this actual event.
- Place some glow-in-the-dark star stickers with messages on your partners ceiling and enjoy night watching while reading romantic letters.
- Take your partner on top of the highest landmark in the city and shout how much you love him/her.
- Buy some balloons and write down your positive wishes in the next few years and let the object fly in the air.
- While your partner is sleeping, use a marker and write down one to three liners that best describes your relationship.
- Create a game wherein you compose a love letter in each balloon and your partner has to burst them or you kiss him/her.
- Don’t spend too much on fancy restaurants
- Have a videotape and record messages from people close to your loved one.
- Familiarize with how to make simple necklaces or pendants to give during the anniversary
- Try to find cheap couples shirts.
- Kiss your partners hand every 30 minutes and whisper something romantic in his/her ear.
- Treat your partner to a discounted massage center
- Search for good gift vouchers that your partner can use in the future.
- Change your computer’s wallpaper to something sweet that your partner can see
- Make a sweet presentation disguised as a business lecture and let your partner watch in the process.
- Ask the department store a favor and page something sweet to your partner.
- Go to your favorite coffee shop and request the owner to post a greeting and a specialized message to your partner.
- Try to go on top of the highest building in the city. In the roof deck, play a music and slow dance to the tune.
- During your anniversary, make a customized shirt saying ‘lucky to have found the woman I love beside me’
- Have a bonfire together and eat marshmallows and hotdog.
- Look for cheap camping trips and experience nature.
- Give your partner a mouse pad as a gift to always look at you when times seem to be tough and challenging.
- While waiting for your partner to arrive, wear a sign saying ‘I’m lost without you’. Remove it only when your spouse arrives and gives you a kiss.
- Try taking your partner to a Ferris wheel and hug when in the top.
- Find a carnival where couples can enjoy different games and rides.
- Try to go bowling together and wear couple shirts.
- Read to your partner wonderful passages that invoke a romantic feel in the situation.
- Make a delectable breakfast in bed
- Try to watch independent films with popcorn and the intention to cuddle in the process.
- Make a way to learn how to massage and give your partner a good one on the back.
- Learn some foreign language (French or Spanish) and say romantic things to your partner using this lingo.
- Pamper your partner by giving her your own version of manicure or pedicure.
- Pretend you forgot the anniversary and ask your friend to invite her to a place especially catered to make her feel very special.
- Choose an inexpensive yet memorable present to commemorate the event.
- Plant a tree together during your anniversary and watch it grow through the years. Or better, you can plant a tree on your partner’s name and live a legacy behind. I recently came to know about a program TreeGiver. you can purchase a tree in his/her name. They’ll plant a tree and send you a picture of the tree and a certificate. What a great way to save nature and creating an outstanding gift!
- Gift her your pictures. Edit different couple photos and make it into a multimedia clip. Last year I used I used smile box to create a table calendar, which had pictures from our earlier anniversaries, it’s a free app, worth looking at.
- Play in the garden and roll around the grass.
- Try to make a love letter and place them on every course during the anniversary dinner.
- Talk to your partner in the webcam and write down sweet notes.
- Leave a voice recorded message stating reasons why you fell in love with your partner and this should be commensurate to the number of years or months together.
- In the morning of the anniversary, ask your partner what she wants to do or the first thing that pops in his/her head and then do it.
- Make your partner a magazine and write some articles on important features that made you fall for him/her.
- Try to have a good laugh during your anniversary either by playing around or watching something funny.
- By 12:00 AM of your anniversary, surprise your partner by giving him/her something she doesn’t expect.
- Surprise your partner by taking a day-off from work and spending it all helping him/her accomplish specific tasks.
- Give simple gifts commensurate to the number of months or years together.
- Make a cardboard mask and decorate it. Give it to your partner and act like you were the characters of the Phantom of the Opera.
- Try to help your partner conquer his/her fear by being there when it happens.
- During this special day, treat your partner like a prince or princess.
- Buy a fish bowl and place different inspirational messages that your partner can read until your next anniversary.
One of the commenters suggested these ideas, which I thought are very cute and useful
102. Give her puppy and name it “anny”, short for anniversary.
103. Take a picture of the moon and say Ill bring you the moon, I’ll circle the stars and bring you back.
104. Tell her you love her in Spanish then take her to a discounted taco truck.
I am not sure which of the ideas I would implement but few hours of brain storming and searching on the net produced the above low-cost and romantic anniversary ideas. Now it’s the time to put one of the ideas in practice.
Here, at this blog, we grow richer in monetary, spiritual and social life One Cent at a Time. There’s no over night success, it’s also true that even if you do something great on your anniversary and fail to show your love the other 364 days, any of these ideas wouldn’t amend your relationship. Only your true love towards him/her can keep you together. Give a big surprise on your anniversary but, also remember to give love year around.
Readers, do you want to share your experience about spending a romantic anniversary together? Do you always go for costlier and pricier options to make the day memorable or you look to cut cost?