How difficult it is to raise temptation to buy fringe items from the grocery checking counter, just to save that $5? I am sure you read various PF blogs and articles and follow some of the best practices to live frugal and save more. But aren’t most of them little tough? Well for me it is tougher than asking my boss to increase my salary.
Last year, by living frugal, well almost.., I saved perhaps $1000 more than what I could have saved otherwise. Later in 2009 I started some of the office practices (or, started practicing better), and as a result I got a 3% salary increment. Believe me it took lesser efforts than what it took to save $1000 from spending.
You may not be that lucky, or perhaps you have lost interest at current work. It might be very hard for you to do well and get your boss’s attention. But, give it a try. I will describe few of the techniques I tried.
- Developed better rapport with my manager: No, I didn’t do whatever he said, but did most of it. If you have aim, if you are satisfied with your work, you can do most of it too. I took every chance to showcase my work to him. and I tried explaining to my best when I failed. Also, when I went against his direction, I had prepared many good reasons to explain to him.
- Developed good working relationship with colleagues: Even if colleagues are your competitor when it comes to year-end appraisal or increment, but they are a very good medium for channeling your good self to your boss. If a few of them start praising your efforts in front of your boss, you are a winner.
- Improved my skills: In our office, we have access to many online tutorials and resources, which are available free of cost. If you have that too, do take advantage and learn something new, new skill, new practice, new way of doing old thing. When you feel like you do not have any enough work at office, turn towards taking a course. Enroll yourself to Toastmaster International. Develop your presentation skill, Toastmaster requires very nominal price, but return of investment is much higher.
- Tried to get attention in team meetings and group presentation: When your boss is not the only decision maker, he has to take opinion of his counterparts from other departments, presentations to those co-bosses go a long way. Do not lose a single chance to present to your superiors.
- I was very honest: You can not lie and sustain for long, you can not escape by exaggerating your achievements, you will be caught one day. I was very loyal, stayed at work for full-time, did my job dutifully, delivered all my projects on time and with quality.
- Worked on Boss’s priority: It is very important that you understand your boss’s priority, if in doubt, ask him. Try to find ways about how you can help him/her meet that target. Do your best and do not forget to keep him updated on your effort. He will be a mighty pleased person.
- I asked for a raise: Only if you satisfy the above points you can ask for a raise. It is your duty, every workman’s duty. Do not hesitate, only letting out the first sentence is tough, once you started the conversation, it won’t be that difficult to convince your boss. If you are convinced yourself, why can’t you convince another person?
Work hard, work honestly, work intelligently and ask for raise. Do leave your comments.
|SB is a husband and working as a software professional for a Fortune 100 corporation in Florida. Thanks for visiting the blog.
You can receive free full-text articles from One Cent at a Time in your email inbox, on the days we publish fresh content, by entering your email below. Your email will only be used for subscription, and each email will include a link you may use to unsubscribe at any time. You can also become our Facebook fan or follow us via Twitter