In many frugal living blogs people say that one of the best way to receive income is by selling your old stuffs on Craigslist or eBay. In their term, it is ‘Cash Your Crap’ to become debt free. While at times it is useful and it is what is needed. But giving in life has some meaning too. If you are wealthy or rich, you are so because the society helped you become one. Naturally then, you should try to give back to the society as much as you can, you may not agree, but I do feel that way.
By garage sales, selling on eBay or Craigslist will earn money, but what if you are not in debt, your car and student loans are paid off, you don’t run a balance on your credit card? Probably you will not be interested in selling your used items.
This is where the donation or giving away for free comes in to the picture. There are few benefits which are common to both donations and resales.
Your home will be less cluttered. In the process of identifying goods to get rid off , you may uncover a hidden gem etc.
Here’s why I think Donate is a better option
1. Goodwill and salvation army are most trusted names. : almost 90% of all donation goes to the needy. as per Goodwill mission statement
“To provide to people with barriers to employment – particularly those with disabilities – an array of quality vocational and educational services so that they can work most independently.”
2. Feeling of giving: These donation stores work for disabled and poor people. Your clothing donation can make a big difference in the lives of children and adults in need. Let me re iterate one of the campaigns from Goodwill. “your pair of jeans gave me my first job”. When you donate, you change lives.
3. Takes less time : When you donate, either you call a Salvation Army pickup or you drive to nearest Goodwill store. You do not have to spend hours listing your item on eBay or Craigslist, replying to mails, attending to buyers visiting your home or monitoring the bidding process etc. You can get rid of your clutter in less time.
4. This is environment friendly: You sure prevent more landfills by donating. Less garbage is helping mother earth. How good it feels?
5. Helps in building your own, or your company’s brand: If you are a registered donor at Goodwill it will improve your own brand and your organization’s brand as well, if you advertise.
6. Get discounts at merchants: Many local and big name brands gives a discount if you donate to Goodwill. One example is Levi’s. You need to get a receipt of your donation to claim this discount.
Readers, let me know what is your preference. On one side you can earn a few bucks, and on other, you can help people of this world, which gives you more satisfaction? Do post your comments.
If you like the article, you can take the following steps
1. Subscribe to our RSS feed
2. Like this post on face book and Tweet this article to your followers.
3. Comment with your opinion and suggestions.
|SB is a husband and working as a software professional for a Fortune 100 corporation in Florida. Thanks for visiting the blog.
You can receive free full-text articles from One Cent at a Time in your email inbox, on the days we publish fresh content, by entering your email below. Your email will only be used for subscription, and each email will include a link you may use to unsubscribe at any time. You can also become our Facebook fan or follow us via Twitter