Being best dressed and stylish can be a good way to attract the attention of other people. Whether you are thin or fat, looking good is still possible as long as you know how to carry yourself.
No, I am not yet the master of men’s fashion, rather this article is also supposed to help me get into the groove. Yes, in our team I am considered to be one of the most fashion-conscious guys. Still, on days I lack inspiration and dress dull. At times I do wear unmatched pairs.
Fridays are casual wear day at work and I do take chances by wearing otherwise bold dresses. But on weekdays it’s strictly formal for me. While writing this article I got inspired to try out the latest fashion and bought a few shirts. Over the next few weeks, I’ll wear them. As I said often that two of the most ignored but important criteria to get noticed at work are by having an elegant office space and wearing elegant attire.
Here are the 101 tips on looking good for men.
Please be aware that fashion is very personal, my opinion might not match yours, and some commentators even coined me as a moron in my post on office cubicle decoration ideas. You may seem to find the same thing here, but, this is how I think about men’s fashion.
- Finding the appropriate clothing is important in boosting your image.
- Wear something blue often as women like men who don this color.
- When wearing a suit, your shirt has a lighter shade. At the same time, this will make you look slim.
- Consider dark suits as they are perfect for any occasion.
- Ninety-two percent of women go for a man they regard as “well-dressed.”
- Wear suits with a T-shirt and suede shoes for a relaxing appearance.
- Leather complements a stocky woven wool suit
- Try denim shorts during the summer
- When wearing men’s square toe boots, crease or fold the bottom part of jeans to flaunt it.
- Avoid putting your sunglasses above the head. It damages the arms, puts stress, and will look crooked on the face.
- Instead of wearing shorts that are quite long, try rolling it up.
- Be unique. You will be more attractive to people by doing so.
- Denim will retain its look when dry cleaned only. As a “twist” fabric, it will lose its color when washed.
- Green and red should not be visible.
- The color will look best together with accessories like scarves, ties, and pocket square or in casual shirts.
- Darker skin will stand out with bright colored clothes.
- For pale-skinned individuals, go for light or soft colors with a shade of gray.
- Big men should use a broad knot with the necktie
- Fasten one of two buttons when wearing suits to make you look slimmer around their waist
- Socks should be of similar color with trousers so that you will look taller in the eyes of people.
- Avoid wearing horizontal-striped designs from top to bottom. Use them mildly on shirts when combined with unicolor or plain trousers.
- Wear darker-colored jeans on shirt or half of the top.
- Small guys should refrain from wearing baggy clothes as this will make them look even shorter.
- Avoid wearing socks and sandals
- Always match your shoes and belt.
- Don’t buy denim shorts. Cut your jeans but give some room for rolling them up.
- Wear tux on jeans that are beaten up
- Consider midnight blue tuxedos as an alternative to dark color
- White Plimsolls will complement any khaki-colored shorts
- Green and blue are best visible
- The classic style is still the best.
- The jeans’ cut should depend on your proportion.
- A suit made out of linen is the ideal summer fashion.
- Designer clothes are not always impressive.
- Shawl collar and lapels will work well with a tuxedo
- Polished shoes will complement your dinner jacket.
- It has been a gentlemanly gesture to always carry an umbrella
- Ties should always be clean and in place
- A dark-gray suit is always the best shade to wear.
- Chelsea boots look stunning in a suit.
- Legs or ankles should always be visible when sitting down.
- Use matching colors for accessories.
- Dark-colored clothing will always make you look slim.
- Ties should extend between the top of the trousers and the belly button. It must not reach the line belt or torso.
- Wear pocket square when possible. It gives you more appeal to emphasizing uniqueness and simplicity.
- Match the color of the pocket square with your tie.
- Light gray suits can be complemented with light-colored ties and vice versa.
- Avoid rolling the sleeves up of your suit except when wearing a casual blazer
- When in doubt as to the color, always follow the rule of intensity—light for light, dark for dark.
- Big men should wear single-breasted suits
- Carry a bag for men and not a rucksack when going to the office.
- Remove two or three buttons from a casual shirt
- Big men should avoid wearing round and high necklines no matter what clothes they wear.
- Desert boots are best for rolled-up chinos.
- For casual shirts, single-colored ties are recommended. Match the necktie’s shades with the primary color of the shirt.
- Clean the suede shoes using soft nylons instead of a wire-based brush.
- Clean and maintain your shoes every couple of weeks. Avoid wearing similar shoes for two consecutive days.
- Wear brighter socks for more noticeable shoes but do not make it your signature look.
- Double denim is ideal for jeans – one or two shades darker than the shirt
- It’s better to undo the lower buttons of cardigans for a slimmer look on the waist
- Whatever the style or occasion, the shirt’s cuffs should always be visible below the blazer.
- Pink colored garments will also look good on men
- For a double-breasted trench coat, you will look slimmer by folding the back of the lapel and wearing the collar up.
- Wear a tie with diagonal stripes from right to left. For most men in the United Kingdom, this works the other way around.
- Dark brogues, preferably brown, and turned-up darker blue jeans are a classic style
- If you think your neck is thinner or thicker, wearing an upward collar on the coat will make you slimmer-looking.
- Both the colors white and cream, when worn together, create an expensive look
- Avoid leaving the collar not ironed.
- Navy blue and navy white striped shirts are best with denim. This will give you a classic look.
- When finding the color of a suit that is right for you, look for one that matches the color of your eyes and the same with the color of your skin. So if you have bluish eyes and lighter skin, go for a light blue suit.
- Letting a scarf draped around the neck, down to your torso will make you look slimmer if you have a curved chest or belly.
- For jackets with a double breast style, use a wider necktie and a wide fitting trouser
- Stand out in the crowd by wearing a purple necktie with a dark gray suit
- Mix and match the color and texture of the tie and pocket square.
- Wear the appropriate dress
- Italians wear the watch above the shirt’s cuffs.
- Use a larger pattern of the handkerchief or for the pocket square than on your tie
- If you are skinny, wear skinny trousers so that you look taller
- Be comfortable with what you are wearing because it is your personality and you are not out to dazzle people. But do dress appropriately when the occasion calls for it.
- Wearing undershirts should only be done when the situation calls for it.
- For bigger men, trousers with vertical designs are the better option.
- Consider a shirt with pockets for hiding man boobs.
- Use Extra Virgin oil as an after-shave. It is considered as a moisturizer and can help prevent dry skin, shaving, and rash ingrown.
- For men with skinny arms, wearing long-sleeved shirts with rolled-up sleeves can make their arms look brawnier.
- Hats look better on a man with a slim face than those with round ones.
- Short hair is recommended for a man with a round face than long hair.
- Carry only the basic things in your wallets such as driver’s license, bank cards, and money.
- Sometimes, you have to experiment with new things.
- Use a belt at all times. Aside from keeping trousers from falling, it also helps add some detail. Unlike in women, there is rarely a chance that men can wear various styles of outfits so the details will matter.
- Always keep an extra shirt with you just in case.
- When buying clothes, always try them on first to ensure that they fit you.
- Apply talc before wearing using your footwear.
- When buying garments, look for quite more expensive ones that are durable so you do not need to keep on buying a new one.
- Balance your beer belly by wearing wide-legged jeans or trousers.
- Buy shirts or trousers that are 100% cotton or at least close to it.
- Go for regular cut shirts. They are more comfortable to wear.
- Clean your shirt first before wearing them several times.
- Make sure that your collars fit you just right.
- Pants that suit you should be of the right length. They should be long enough to hide your socks and short enough not to touch the ground or bundle at the front.
- Your shoes must be in good condition, clean, and shined. Likewise, it should be appropriate for the outfit you are wearing.
- See to it that your clothes are hung properly. Instead of pressing, steam jackets, and pants.
Last but not least the mobile you carry and the case you carry it in also does matter. Don’t overlook this aspect as well.
Readers, this is not exactly a personal finance post but, might increase your career potential if you start looking sharp and smart at work. No harm in that. Please share your honest opinion about the concept of men’s fashion. I’ll sincerely look forward to it!
101 Ideas for Men’s Fashion That will not Put a Hole in your Pocket
[…]The spectrum of men’s fashion is not nearly as wide, and least wide it is in the eyes of regular male consumer.[…]
I think “wear the appropriate dress” is the most important consideration for both men and women.
fully agree with you here Carole. A dress on you might not look good if it does on someone else
Thomas S. Moore says
I would agree wearing the appropriate clothing and what fits you. Too often I see people wearing something just because “its the style” or “everyone is wearing it”. If it doesn’t look good on you then don’t buy it. I found #94 the most amusing!
yep, trying out in the fitting room is a must-do. What about tips#82?
Holy cow! I wished you had some advice here 😉 What an action-packed post. When I was a practicing advisor, I’d either wear a uniquely colored shirt (pink maybe) or a creative tie. However, I’ve seen people try to do both at the same time and it’s a total disaster.
Joe, I wear pink all the time. I do wear ties with that as well and no body ever mentioned it to me that it looks odd. Believe me the ties in my collection are as creative as they could be…
Even if there were disasters people didn’t mention it to me.
Money Bulldog says
Wow, I’ll never be stuck for something to wear again!
Really? Man I still struggle even now after completing this article. I did finish writing this about three weeks back.
Interesting article. I loved it.
thanks but anything particular you liked?
Mo' Money Mo' Houses says
Love this. Sending it to me BF to have a look now.
can you let me know what he thinks after reading?
My hunny bought some dress clothes and I tagged along for approval. I can attest to #5. He came out of the dressing room and I was speechless. He looked so dang hot! I guess I always think he does, but those dress clothes really did it for me.
Not sure from where I got the statistics, I should have put the source there on #5. Perhaps SMB and I should frequent malls to spark our relationship 🙂
David Williamson says
I like that one “When wearing a suit, your shirt has a lighter shade. At the same time, this will make you look slim”. Shiny shirts are always look good on me.
Thanks David! I too love to wear shiny shirts and have quiet a few.
jefferson @SeeDebtRun says
Great tips actually.. I am printing this one off and saving it..
My workplace recently transitioned from biz casual to ultra-casual and now many are sporting the jeans and t-shirt look.. I do often wear jeans, but still try to look as fashionable as I can..
Dominique Brown says
Nice tips! There are days when I have a hard time deciding on what to wear to work. All your pointers are noted, and these will definitely help me out in my decision. I find it important to always look sharp especially at my workplace as it boosts my self-confidence, and it also draws positive attention.
Such a great and informative post. Very nice ideas. I always like to go to monteil online store to get men’s stylish clothes.
Gabe Nelson says
I noticed you didn’t mention wearing diamonds. I think they are a great way to show your status.
Gabe, isn’t diamond going to create a hole in your pocket?
It’s really helpful that there are tips like these for men in styling themselves. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts about this matter. It was really helpful and interesting. Great job!
You’re welcome Danica!
Oliver Paker says
Well, in addition to the above-mentioned points I would like to add one from my side too. Men should prefer casual suits over the formal ones as they leave more room for experimentation. You can wear them with a pair of jeans and sneakers or wear them with T-shirts which gives a perfectly casual look.
These are great. I know men don’t care about fashion as much as women, but that doesn’t mean that they should look like hobos. If they just wear something that is clean and that fits them appropriately is a big deal haha.
These men’s fashion tips are excellent, surprising to see over 100 them all together! It just makes things so much easier, so thanks for taking the time to put it together. Every guy tries to save money here and there and with these tips I’m sure you can really stretch your budget a bit more! I also talk about over on my magazine. Good work, thanks Brian.
I loved the suggestion especially related to dark suits. A man does look very elegant in a dark suit.
These tips are very helpful and appreciatable tips!
Awesome job. The does and dont’s are perfectly explained. It was like a guidance on how to dress on a daily basis, weekends and other occasions. Happy to read and follow. Thank you for sharing the great advice.
Mohit Tuteja says
Hey, I was always confused about color combinations and clothing combinations.but your tips really helped me out deciding that.And your tip for wearing a grey color suit with tie is amazing.will definitely gonna try on college farewell.
Fashion & Style says
Hey, thanks for sharing this post with us. it’s really helpful for us. I Love your content. keep up the good work.
Basit Muhammad says
Well i would say that you’re right in some manner but men fashion can not be classified like this. Everything that suits you wear it!
Baltic Domini says
Didn’t you forget to include leather bags?
You mean the cheaper ones? like a faux leather? The leather is a fashion symbol but not sure if a genuine one can be cheap. Although my belts are all genuine ones
Interesting Article thank you so much for this now I start all of the above suggestion to look a good man thank you
Essential Homme says
Thanks for sharing, these are really helpful tips. The best part is you put effort to put them together in a single post and managed to explain in a few words. It’s easy to read and follow.
Beard make your personality more prominent, if you can carry it with grace and add it to your style it make you more glamours . Good Post i read it and felt that you have deep researcher on it .