- Use fans with your air conditioner, at is helps to circulate the cool air from your air conditioner.
- Use ceiling fans to improve the air circulation in your home, so that you can feel some breeze in the heat of the summer months. You can opt for the use of a house fan so that your whole home is ventilated in the heat of the summer. This fan can be mounted in the attic and will be perfect when the windows to the home are open.
- If you can, get an oscillating fan as they will turn from side to side as opposed to blowing in one direction. For the maintenance of the fan, make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the care and maintenance of the fan to ensure that the operating costs are controlled
- Use a washer which allows you to control the level of the water needed to wash the clothes. For this, you can save a lot of water and energy when you need to wash some few clothes. Also, it will be a good idea if you just wash clothes when you are sure you will be having a full load. For example, wash the clothes once a week rather than once every three days. Then you will be washing when you have a full load.
- Do not use hot water unless you really need it, most clothes can be washed by the dryer with warm water rather than hot water.
- Rinse in cold water; unlike what you may think this has no effect on the quality of your clothes. If you are using hot water, your water heater should be close to the washer to reduce the distance it will travel to reach the washer. This will prevent it from losing heat.
- You can save a lot of energy in the summer by drying your clothes in the sun rather htan using the dryer. Most clothes can be hanged on the line without any negative effect on them. You can also dry others like acrylic sweaters on the ground.
- Ensure that they are not over-dried-whether you are drying them outside or you are dying them using the dryer-this will cause you to use more water on them every time you wash them and this will mean more energy.
- Use energy efficient water heaters that will save you energy over the summer. With the heat of the summer, you can reduce your hot water needs; for example you can have hot water showers only in the evening or in the night.
- When you want to purchase one, consider how many times you will be heating the water and how large your family is. If you use hot water most of the time and you are many, you may want to buy a large one. If the reverse is true then you can opt for the smaller one. When the heater is too large, you will use too much energy heating it and when it is too small you will find yourself without water most of the time.
- Use air conditioners that are energy-efficient; those that will spend less energy in the long run. Get one that has a timer, or get it installed in the one that you already have. This timer will control its operations especially if you are not always at home and you tend to forget to shut it down when you leave.
- Opening your windows will help to reduce the heat of the summer, which will go a long way in helping you spend less energy in the long run as you will not use much energy with your air conditioner. Still, if you have a lot of humidity in the area, you may want to close your windows when using your air conditioner. This will prevent the humid air from getting into your home when you are cooling it. it will save you a lot of energy at the same time.
- Your air conditioner should have varying fan speeds to allow lower or faster cooling whenever you need.
- Install the air conditioner in a place that is central so that it does not use a lot of energy cooling the whole house.
- Set the thermostat of the air conditioner at normal or slightly higher but not high as this will save energy. Setting it at high in the beginning will not help to cool the room any faster.
As a special tribute to our readers, Gridpar has provided OCAAT readers with a custom solar calculator to estimate approximate energy saving you can achieve by adopting Solar. Estimate how much you can save money and contribute to environment by using the calculator below today!
Readers, can you share some other methods you are following or have followed all along? Let’s make this article an useful resource for all future readers.