Office politics is a common phenomenon, which you can’t avoid. At some point of time in your career you’ll have to face it. I suggest you learn the skills needed now to cope with and master office politics.
One of the best feelings is working in a harmonious and comfortable office environment. You can work with ease without thinking of the problems in the work field. But, unfortunately, this atmosphere you are wishing for seldom exist in a competitive environment.
Office politics is present in almost every office I have been to or I have heard about. The more you go up the ladder, this will increase. You’ll see issues and problems are used to gain power. Some people will pull you down intentionally and rumors will be spread.
You can also be accused of causing troubles by your coworkers, just to shut you down. As a wise employee, you should know some things and be familiar with some scenes in your work so that you will know what action you must take.
Certain situations while working can cause stress and unnecessary reactions are preventable. If you want your job, then, you must find time to learn the following:
- Search for experienced adviser. Finding someone who will support you can be one of the brightest ideas you can do when working. This experienced adviser will somehow help and guide you when you are having problems either in or out of your work place. Counseling about the best thing to do can be one of the ideas that your adviser can share.
- Stay positive and calm. Rumors or gossip made by your coworkers are everywhere and cannot be prevented; however, you can control it. When you have encountered these things, especially about you, do not panic and overreact. Be calm and think that arguing about them is just a waste of time.
- Always look for the best workers. Learning from the best performing workers can be the best idea you should be thinking right now. They should be the ones you are working with. Find time to appreciate or somehow adopt how they act in certain situations.
- Think about Tactics. In order to remain in a certain company, you should formulate a plan that will give you a clear job pathway. Tactics about working with someone with power and assisting them when they need help. By doing this, you can be valuable to them and their trust is in your hand.
- Knowing the culture of our workplace. If you are a wise worker, you should find time to know the culture of the company you are working with. Learn to adjust the way you act in accordance with the company’s environment.
- Learn the principle of thinking before speaking. In some instances, people in the work place are easily affected by stressful minor problems and as a result, the sudden unnecessary reactions are displayed. This thing should not be adopted. Learn to think first and control your emotions before acting out. Otherwise, you will get fired instantly.
- Be nice. This can be the easiest thing you can do. If you do not like the other person or you are having a bad day when you saw him around the workplace, then, just do one thing. Stay away from this person as soon as possible without hindering your job.
- Stay away from group of gossiper. In order to be safe, you should not be involved in gossips made by your coworkers, especially, when it talks about the company and your manager as well.
- Live at peace with others. Learn to adjust yourself from different coworkers. This can be of great help to prevent future complications in your job.
- Do your job professionally. It is the most appropriate way to survive in office politics. Do not get involved in some unprofessional acts inside your company.
- Be honest. As the saying goes, honesty is the best policy. When you observed unethical acts inside the company, report it to someone who is on higher positions or to someone who is responsible.
- Don’t cheat. Cheating to get higher positions is not the solution in order for you to survive. Be sure to do your job and be promoted without any influence of cheating others or the company.
- Possess a good character. The secret of being liked by someone and be prevented from any office conflicts is to show what a good worker should be. Your character and the way you treat someone are a must in your workplace.
- Improve yourself and the job. Be one of the best workers that are valuable to the company by keeping up a good work without any issues.
- Documentation and records. Keep all these materials available at all times. This can be your armor against any kind of office politics.
- Stay neutral. Do not go from one side to the other whenever issues of office politics arise.
- Be trustful. It is one way to survive in office politics.
- Do not play office politics games. Just do your job and ignore this tricks made by your coworkers.
- Build a Team. This is one of the best ideas you are thinking right now. The team can help you when office politics attacked because they will never you in a stressful condition.
- Know Your Enemy. By doing this, you will know what actions and strategies you can do when you encountered them.
- Know Your Friend. You can safe, especially, when you have someone that is truthful to you.
By taking all these things into considerations, sometimes, you may survive a job loss or you may be considered more for the promotion. I am not saying these are all you need to succeed in your career. I have a better post, 101 ways to succeed at work, for you for that matter. These tips are to prepare you for the worse.
Readers, what extra tips you want to share? If you have related story to tell, please feel free to comment.
Mo' Money Mo' Houses says
Stay positive and calm, yup, that’s a very important thing to keep in mind!
The Happy Homeowner says
Great list! Absolutely essential for surviving in virtually any office environment.
K.K.@ Living Debt Free Rocks! says
These are very useful points that were mentioned and I’ve had to employ many of them in order to succeed in my career. Often I felt that navigating office politics was not much different than playing a game of chess. My goal was to always maintained good moral and ethical behaviour no matter what was being thrown at me.
Your Boss says
Office politics is my biggest pet peeve. I wish people would just do their work and stay away from gossips and all that office drama. But it rarely happens. I like all points you brought up but I just want to mention this: sometimes being nice does not yield desired results. Sometimes being tough and direct is better. Even if you come across as mean and rude. So be it, as long as you get your point across. 🙂
Caesar F says
So far I haven’t dealt with any office politics because I seem to get along with everyone. But this is still good to know for the future if this ever comes up.
It goes without saying, regardless of whether or not your job is actually in office, there will always be politics. I get along with everyone I work with, but I think it is because I’m neutral and just do my job. People will try and get you to take sides and talk bad about other people but it is best to not say anything and get dragged down with it. You don’t want it to bite you in the butt.
Financial Samurai says
Gotta play politics. Don’t fight it!
and be the leader in it!